Chiropractic Care in Calgary
Chiropractors assess, diagnose, treat, and prevent pain and/or dysfunction caused by injury, trauma, overuse, chronic conditions, and much more.
Chiropractic promotes proper mechanics of the spine and extremities to find your optimal posture to reduce pain and improve your daily activities.
When you increase your range of motion to the spine and extremities, this can alleviate pain caused by injury, restore strength to dysfunctional areas, and increase the communication between the nervous system and the body.
Probably the most important thing you can do with a Chiropractor is to learn effective exercises to prevent further injury, maintain the benefits of your treatment, and establish lifelong beneficial postural habits.
What to expect from a Chiropractic visit at Momentum Health:
- Chiropractors induce motion to the joints by using manual adjustment techniques with the goal of gapping joints, creating space, and releasing tension
- The first visit is the longest, being the assessment portion. Here the patient and doctor will learn and discuss what is going on, how chiropractic can help, what to expect in the coming weeks of treatment, and expectations between patient and doctor
- Treatment usually includes an adjustment ("popping"), some soft tissue release (ART, acupuncture, Graston, etc.), and at home exercises to perform to continue with treatment success between visits
What type of treatments/interventions do Chiropractors use?
- Therapeutic manipulations/adjustments that use controlled force, leverage, direction, and velocity to increase joint mobility and motion (this can create the "popping" sound associated with adjustments)
- Soft tissue massage or release such as ART (active release therapy), Graston or Instrument Assisted, trigger point release, cupping massage, and much more
- With additional training, Chiropractors in Alberta can utilize Acupuncture, Dry Needling, or Intramuscular Stimulation, to help release muscles and alleviate pain
- Home exercise programs to promote healing between visits, change postural habits, and build confidence in previously restricted ranges of motion
- Mobilizations and Activator techniques are alternatives to traditional adjusting for patients that are apprehensive about the "popping", have an underlying condition where it might not be safe to adjust them, or as a preference for doctor or patient
- Additionally, Chiropractos may use a traction table, Mckenzie exercise protocols, OTZ techniques, nutrition/dietary advice, lifestyle modifications, GLA:D Arthritis Program, and more
Some reasons to seek Chiropractic care
Chiropractors can help you with:
- Spine: headaches, migraines, vertigo, whiplash, postural pain & syndromes, disc herniations, spondylothesis, repetitive strain injuries, stenosis
- Shoulders: Frozen shoulder, rotator cuff injury and tears, postural syndromes
- Hips: Impingement, labral tears, hip flexor strains
- Knees: Patellar tracking disorders, arthritis, Osgood Schattler’s (teens)
- Others: pain from arthritis conditions, TMJ pain and dysfunction, tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow, bursitis, hypermobility, fibromyalgia, chronic pain disorders
- Work injuries and Motor Vehicle Accidents
Collaboration with other practitioners;
- Multidisciplinary: Chiropractors at Momentum Health work alongside physiotherapists, kinesiologists, medical doctors, massage therapists, etc to give you the best treatment possible
- Our expertise complements other practitioners specifically the rehab exercise knowledge of the physiotherapists, the movement speciality of kinesiologists, and the diagnostic and surgical side of medical doctors
What is a chiropractic adjustment? What is the noise?
Adjustments create a release of gas bubbles in the joints made of synovial cartilage (e.g. spine, fingers, knees). This quick release of gas creates a sound since the bubbles are "popping" inside the joints. Think bubble wrap! The goal of any adjustment is to create motion and space and sometimes the pop comes with the quick stretch of the joint capsule meaning some bubbles were released.
Keep in mind, there are multiple types of cartilage, so not all joints pop or crack. A successful adjustment is not always associated with "the sound", but it does not make it any less of an adjustment!
Endorphins are released by the body when tension is reduced from muscles and joints, so an adjustment feels really good due to the feel good hormones being released immediately and for a few hours after a chiropractic treatment.
We have at least one Chiropractor at each of our Momentum Health locations. All of our practitioners will collaborate to ensure you are seeing the best person for your condition.
Watch Dr. Allykhan's gentle approach in this video
To get started on the right treatment plan for you, find a Chiropractor by location: