The GLA:D® Program for Hip and Knee Arthritis in Calgary
Hip or knee arthritis can hurt your ability to function on a daily basis. We know that you want to be able to keep being active, play with your family or enjoy your usual activities like hiking or biking Calgary's trails. The problem of course, is that your hip or knee pain from arthritis limts your ability to function. We believe that you shouldn't have to wait to get the help you need. That may be why your Doctor has suggested that you look into the GLA:D program for hip or knee arthritis.
Good Life with OsteoArthritis from Denmark is an evidence-based initiative that follows the current recommendations for the treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis.
In Denmark, this program has been shown to improve the quality of life of patients living with mild, moderate, and severe osteoarthritis, and may delay or prevent the need for surgical intervention.
We've helped over 200 Calgarians through our GLA:D programs.
Here's how we can help you with you hip or knee pain, whether it's surgical recovery, or you want to prevent or prolong that surgery in the first place.
With the GLA:D® hip/knee program, you get:
- Two, 90 minute educational sessions
- Twelve, 60 minute supervised neuromuscular exercise classes (4-8 patients per class)
- Collection of data pre-program, at 3 and at 8 months post-program on quality of life, pain and functional outcomes.
Who can participate in GLA:D™ Hip/Knee?
Individuals who experience symptoms resulting from hip and/or knee osteoarthritis (e.g. pain, limited function, decreased quality of life) are ideal for the GLA:D® program. If you have an arthritis diagnosis, you're ideal for this program! GLA:D has also shown improved function for patients post knee replacement.
What is the cost of the program?
At $35 per session, this is one of the most affordable ways to get high-quality care. The total cost of the program is $490. GLA:D™ Canada is a physiotherapy or chiropractic delivered program and billable to extended or private health care insurance (pending your policy availability).
Individuals who may not be able to participate in GLA:D™ are those with:
- Hip and/or knee problems resulting from other suspected reasons, including but not limited to tumor, Inflammatory joint disease, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- Other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (ex. Chronic pain or fibromyalgia)
- Inability to understand and communicate English (due to the strong emphasis on the educational component of the program)
To book, call Momentum Health at 403-455-0025 for this program at all locations.
Are you looking for the GLA:D Back program for Chronic Lower Back Pain?
Here, you can read the GLA:D Canada central research information.