What Is The GLA:D® Program?
Good Life with OsteoArthritis from Denmark is an evidence-based initiative that follows the current recommendations for the treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis.
In Denmark, this program has been shown to improve the quality of life of patients living with mild, moderate, and severe osteoarthritis, and may delay or prevent the need for surgical intervention.
What does the GLA:D® program include?
- Two, 1.5 hour long educational sessions
- Twelve, hour long supervised neuromuscular exercise classes (4-8 patients per class)
- Collection of data at pre-program, and at 3 and 12 months post-program on a range of outcome function, quality of life and pain
Who can participate in GLA:D™?
Individuals who experience symptoms resulting from hip and/or knee osteoarthritis (e.g. pain, limited function, decreased quality of life) are ideal for the GLA:D® program.
What is the cost of the program?
The cost of the program is $475. GLA:D™ Canada is a physiotherapy delivered program and billable to extended or private health care insurance. That's less than $40 per session, direct billed to your insurance (pending your policy availability).
Individuals who may not be able to participate in GLA:D™ Canada are those with:
- Hip and/or knee problems resulting from other suspected reasons, including but not limited to tumor, Inflammatory joint disease, soft tissue or connective tissue problems
- Other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems (ex. Chronic pain or fibromyalgia)
- Inability to understand and communicate English (due to the strong emphasis on the educational component of the program)
To book, call Momentum Health at 403-455-0025 for this program at all locations.
Help more Albertans! Program participants will be able to join a University of Calgary study evaluating the cost and effectiveness of the GLA:D™ program.
Complete this University of Calgary contact form to be connected with the researcher.
Here, you can read the GLA:D Canada central research information.